Saturday, February 4, 2012

I am looking to buy a 1983 toyota corolla wagon at 240K miles. Is this a stupid idea?

I am looking to buy a 1983 toyota corolla wagon at 240k miles. It is for under $1000 but owner says everything works perfectly and he just recently had a tune up for it. Can anyone tell me more about this car and if this sounds like a good investment as a cheap but reliable car?I am looking to buy a 1983 toyota corolla wagon at 240K miles. Is this a stupid idea?@The Raven:

37? Don't you mean 27? You said it more than once which leads me to believe that it's not just a typo.



Anyways, test drive it and have a mechanic (not one recommended by the owner) check it out first. If it's under $1000 then you're really not losing much anyways, and if it lasts you for even a year or two it'll be an okay deal. Many people pay hundreds of dollars a month on car leases, so less than $1000 for a year or two really wouldn't be a bad thing even if it does crap out on you after that. That said, I'd still look for something with under 160k miles, but that's just me, then again that also usually puts you over $1000.I am looking to buy a 1983 toyota corolla wagon at 240K miles. Is this a stupid idea?
I would buy it if it was $800 or less. Those are great cars and they will run a long time. I used to have a 1974 Corolla wagon - which was 20 years old and had around $250,000 miles on it when I bought it. Everything was original and there was quite a bit of wear on the inside, but the engine and transmission were all original and it ran well. That car made a 100 mile commute daily in rush hour traffic for my four years of college. It impressed me so much that when I graduated, I bought a new Corolla. I actually sold that one with 387,000 miles on it for $600. the only repairs outside of normal maintenance I had to do were replace the alternator, have the carburetor built once, and the fuel pump replaced once.... In 4 YEARS!! Toyotas are great cars but those old Corollas are a notch above most Toyotas IMO. Plus, the pre-1984s are all rear wheel drive- meaning, they are even easier (and cheaper) to repair if you ever need to. If you can get it for $800 or less, go for it. BTW Raven, a 1983 car is 27 years old.I am looking to buy a 1983 toyota corolla wagon at 240K miles. Is this a stupid idea?The older toyota's are always VERY reliable, and will last. This car in particular I know my friend owns, except it is a sedan, not wagon, but it has over 300k, and he still drives it with no major issues. The price is perfectly reasonable, and even if it was a little higher, it still would be good, because these cars hold their value.



I would highly recommend purchase of this car.



Thanks, and Good luck on your purchase :)
depends on how much less than $1000

is this the original owner?

do they have all repair documentation ?

how do the floorboards and frame look?

will they allow a independent mechanic to look it over before you leave a deposit ?I am looking to buy a 1983 toyota corolla wagon at 240K miles. Is this a stupid idea?Understand that anything can happen to this car after u buy it..it has no retail or wholesale value..I would buy this car with the intension of restoring it and driving it on weekends to car shows..not as a mode of transportation..I am looking to buy a 1983 toyota corolla wagon at 240K miles. Is this a stupid idea?
It can be. Toyotas and Honda's will run for a long time. One man's Toyota has 400K Miles on it and it still runs. As far as reliability any car can be reliable as long as you take care of it.
Not really just know that you might have to put in a lot for maintenanceI am looking to buy a 1983 toyota corolla wagon at 240K miles. Is this a stupid idea?
thats a 200 bucker/same as junk money
Thabit H and Toyota Obsession are the same person using different accounts to answer.



NO.



The car is 37 years old and worth no more than a hundred bucks max.



This goes for ANY 37 year old car. Not Just Toyota.
  • translate japanese to english
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment